Opportunity – Plastics recycling consultancy
We are looking for someone to help design and set up a plastic upcycling facility in Kenya. Project will turn plastic waste into fence posts; combating climate change and providing employment.
Could be done remotely.
This opportunity is part of a joint project between Throw A Starfish in UK and one of our trusted partners, Beacon of Hope International (B.O.H.I.) in Kenya.
B.O.H.I. is a small start-up social enterprise organization based in Kirinyaga County in Kenya.
Centring its work around a proposed plastic recycling facility it is seeking to:
- Give hope and purpose to vulnerable young people by providing training and employment
- Protect the environment by cleaning it up – collecting discarded plastic bottles and old polythene sheets for recycling (Old polythene sheets in Mwea are used for drying Rice, they are also waste from green houses and shade nets).
- Combat climate change by working to stop deforestation – turning plastic waste into fence posts and other building materials
Giving hope and purpose to vulnerable young people
Youth unemployment is a huge issue in Kenya.
Kenya is a very young country. According to the US based population reference bureau (PBS), 20.3% of the population are aged 15-24 (The average in Africa is 19.2% and in the world 15.8%). 75% of the Kenyan population is aged under 30.
In 2018, unemployment dropped to 9.3% from 11.5% in 2017. However, following the COVID-19 pandemic it is expected to rise significantly again. In an article on 26th July 2020, a Kenyan newspaper predicted 65% loss of jobs!
With significant unemployment, vulnerable young people will be those who find it hardest to find employment and with it hope for the future. B.O.H.I. seeks to empower vulnerable young people by creating jobs, and providing training (skill development) at its plastic recycling facility.
Protecting the environment
Kenya, like many other countries, uses a lot of plastic materials, especially plastic bottles, plates, chairs, tables etc. They frequently break, especially those which get a lot of use in institutions like hotels, guesthouses, churches, and schools.
In Kenya, only about 15% of all plastic waste is recycled. There is no proper recycling process within the local Mount Kenya Region.
B.O.H.I wants to establish a plastic collection and recycling facility. Young people will be given employment to collect plastics; collection centres will be setup from which a truck will make collections and deliver to the B.O.H.I. Centre where the recycling will take place.
Young people will be employed to manage the recycling machine and products developed.
Combating climate change
Having contributed to cleaning the environment, through establishing a circular economy approach, the plastics will be recycled and made into useful items which can be sold to cover costs and in time provide finance to expand the operation.
One of the proposed items to be produced will be fence posts. Kenyans from the region, sub-divide land and fencing is always given a priority. Felling trees to make posts is the normal pattern, but producing those made from recycled plastic will reduce the number of trees felled. This will help regain and retain the tree cover, which is a commitment by the government in combating climate change, and is essential for soil cover, reducing soil erosion and improving the micro-climate.
BOHI – Is a company limited by guarantee, registered under the Company’s Act 2015, It has no share capital. (Small Foundations and Non-profit preference than NGO)
What difference will you make?
- You will be involved in the design of the plastic upcycling facility in Kirinyaga county which is at the heart of this organisation.
- You will make a positive contribution to protecting the environment and combatting climate change
What will you do?
- Consult with Catherine Mwangi, Executive Director at B.O.H.I. and Laurence Biggs, Mission Director at Throw A Starfish, to agree terms of reference for this assignment
- Advise on/design the necessary plant for the upcycling facility including future options to upsize
- Provide input to a project plan to see this facility move from idea to operation
- Help put together a business plan
Experience which would be useful but not necessarily essential
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plastic recycling/upcycling industry
- Design and specification
- Team work
- Clear analytical mind
- Excellent communication
- Remote working
- Business planning
Variable – this is, at least initially, a time limited, part time, voluntary job; hours and expenses are open for discussion.
- Kirinyaga County in Kenya
- Option for Remote working
To find out more : just phone us or contact us using the contact form